Friday, March 02, 2007

Clan Grant

About 1862 a Mr. John Grant was born to unknown Parents somewhere in Scotland. It is safe to say that his parents also had the surname of "Grant" and were at least in their 20's when their son was born.

Given what I have learned about the Clan system in Scotland (and I've mush more to learn) at the time, it is safe to assume, But not certain, that His birth or that of his father happened in the Northern Highlands in an area just southeast of Inverness called Strathspey.



The river Spey ran through this area and is famous for its abundant fishing and wonderful scenery.

as near as I can tell, Sir Jams Grant planned and built this town starting in 1756 as a place of honor for those of Cln Grant and to give them a place in which to settle as opposed to emmergrating from. I could tell how "Robert the Bruce" honored Clan Grant for their service in the Jaboite wars of 1715 and much more but For right now I am satified in the knowledge that this is the area my family originated from.

So in 1885, John Grant came to Boston on board the SS Phoenician and listed his occupation as a tailor. I can not tell if he was married in Scotland, or if he found his Wife Sarah waiting for him on these shores. Either way, they settled here in Boston, Or Melrose and Both list their Naturaization as having taken place in 1888.

By 1892, they had a son, Richard J. Grant. the first American Genertion Grant in my family. who married "Edna Agnes Shaw" daughter of Walter H Shaw of Michigan.

Both The Grants and the Ritchies arrived in Melrose from Scotland. and the Shaws came to Melrose via Michigan and proberly latter from Alberta Canada.

So why and how did all this scottish (highland)heritage end up in Melrose? is there some connecton?

check out the relation of the MacKintosh Clan to that of the Grants i this map of the area of scotland.