Thursday, March 01, 2007

Concerning Scottish Clans

I find it very odd that three of the four family names I can trace back to the beginning of the 19Th century (1800) three of them come from the same region of the Scottish highlands.

The forth name (Sinnott)comes from Ireland. and although I can't trace my grandmother on my fathers side, I have found that she comes from Canada and further from Ireland also. The mothers are harder to find as they change their names in marriage.

While I feel normally inclined to trace back my grandfathers (on both sides) genealogy, I am also including my mothers, mothers father. Simply because My grandmother is the only one of my grandparents i ever knew. Edna Shaw (1895-1979). Edna's father was Walter H Shaw who came to Melrose from somewhere in Michigan where he was born in 1873. I can't trace him any further, But I have found out that Shaw is a Scottish Surname. or a clan name.



This is their crest with the inscription "Fide et fortitudine (By fidelity and fortitude)"

Now, the Clan Shaw was part of the Chattan Confederation and formerly a Sept (or offshoot) of Clan MacKintosh.

The Shaw's relation to the MacKintosh's is important because the name "Ritchie" is also a Sept of that same clan.

It is hard to find any info on the Ritchie linige other than this: William Ritchie was born About 1856 and emmigtated to New Hamphsire or Vermont and Married Anne and begot James and so forth and so on until I was born.

Here is the MacKintosh crest:



"Touch not the cat without a glove"

I have no idea what that means.

The Shaws and the Ritchies, Both parts of Clan MacKintosh. From a region of Scotland, Just south of Inverness. yet as far as I was concerned, A world away from each other.

Enter Clan Grant.